I'm happy to announce the 5th release of the Distributed Media Library (aka "dmedia"). At this point dmedia is really just for developers and highly adventurous end-users, but the design and implementation are both progressing quickly.
You can download the source tarball here: dmedia-0.5.0.tar.gz
Packages are available for Ubuntu Natty in the Novacut Stable Releases PPA.
What's new in dmedia 0.5
- Thanks to Martin Owens, we have a WSGI app for receiving file uploads from HTML5 capable browsers
- Completed transition from PyGTK to PyGI (except for GStreamer-based transcoder, will soon)
For details, see bugs fixed in the dmedia 0.5 milestone.
- A big thanks to Ian 'IZO' Cylkowski for graciously offering to do a professional logo and identity design for Novacut, plus a big thanks to Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff for kindly recommending Novacut to Ian - the community has really wowed us with this one!
- Thanks to the packaging efforts of Bilal Akhtar, dmedia 0.3 is in Natty!
- Thanks to James Raymond for the fantastic design work he's been doing for the Novacut player and for stepping up to do almost every code review
- Thanks to Akshat Jain for constant hyperactive awesomeness on all fronts, like somehow telepathically sensing that Barry Warsaw had joined Twitter the instant it happened
- And thanks to Jono Bacon for making #novacut one of his regular IRC hangouts
Contribute to 0.6 and beyond!
We do monthly time-based releases, always releasing on the last Thursday of the month. That means we promise to make a release on time each month, but never promise what exact features will land.
dmedia 0.6 will be released on Thursday April 28 2011, and development is already underway. To see what's in store for the next release, checkout dmedia 0.6 milestone.
That's all, folks!
Thanks to everyone who is helping make this dream a reality!
Jason Gerard DeRose