I'm happy to announce the 6th release of the Distributed Media Library (aka "dmedia"). This is a special release because today also marks the release of Pioneer One episode 4, and Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal. At this point dmedia is really just for developers and highly adventurous end-users, but the design and implementation are both progressing quickly.
You can download the source tarball here: dmedia-0.6.0.tar.gz
Packages are available for Ubuntu Natty in the Novacut Stable Releases PPA.
What's new in dmedia 0.6
In this release dmedia has been further split into simpler components. This means we can use a very minimal dmedia install for media consumption apps like the Novacut player, and only install the other components when apps like the Novacut editor need them.
- Thanks to David Green, the media browser has a basic Application Menu, giving it nice integration in Unity
- Almost declared the version zero schema final, but decided to wait another month (this is a big decision because we will maintain compatibility with the version zero schema indefinitely)
- Split into two DBus services, one that will provide the core functionality all dmedia apps need, and a second that just takes care of the Pro File Import UX
- Added new core API entry point
For details, see bugs fixed in the dmedia 0.6 milestone.
- Thanks to Ian 'IZO' Cylkowski for doing a beautiful brand and identity design for Novacut... we're going to unveil the full design at the Ubuntu Developer Summit, so stay tuned
- Thanks to Harno Ranaivo for making a fantastic set of icons from our new logo!
- And a big thanks to Manish Sinha for grueling research on how best to do EXIF extraction from Python
Contribute to 0.7 and beyond!
We do monthly time-based releases, always releasing on the last Thursday of the month. That means we promise to make a release on time each month, but never promise what exact features will land.
dmedia 0.7 will be released on Thursday May 26 2011, and development is already underway. To see what's in store for the next release, checkout dmedia 0.7 milestone.
That's all, folks!
Thanks to everyone who is helping make this dream a reality!
Jason Gerard DeRose